The balance of heart-healthy protein, greens, and superfood grains will fill you up with essential nutrients.
Our Pan-Fried Salmon with Asparagus & Couscous Salad is savory and ultra-nutritious. The balance of heart-healthy protein, nutritious greens, and superfood grains will fill you up with essential nutrients. Half a fillet of salmon contains 40 grams of protein and hardly any calories. Asparagus is chock-full of a long list of vitamins and minerals. The veggie is particularly full of Vitamin K, folate, and copper. Couscous is a filling, high-fiber, low-fat starch. As a complex carbohydrate, couscous is just what your body needs to stay full and energized throughout the day.
Our recipe is a simple one that requires minimal prep and effort. Just cook couscous, blanch asparagus, and fry salmon for a few minutes. Voila! You have a scrumptious, well-balanced meal that looks stunning and tastes heavenly. Serve and savor!
Pan-Fried Salmon with Asparagus & Couscous Salad
- 16 ounces salmon fillets wild caught (4 fillets)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch asparagus woody bottom stems removed
- 1 cup whole-wheat couscous dry
- 1 red bell pepper stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper or orange, stemmed, seeded, and chopped
- 1/4 cup parsley chopped
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice freshly squeezed, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt divided
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a pot, bring 2/3 cup water with 1/4 teaspoon salt to a boil. Add couscous. Cover and remove from heat. Let sit for 5 minutes or until other ingredients are complete. Remove lid and fluff with a fork.
- Bring a small pot of water (about 4- 6 cups water) with 1/4 teaspoon salt to a boil. Blanch asparagus for 3 to 4 minutes in boiling water until bright green and crisp-tender. Remove.
- Sprinkle salmon with salt and pepper. Place oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add fillets, skin-side up. Cook for about 3 - 4 minutes until golden on one side.
- Flip and cook for 3 to 4 more minutes, until skin is crisp and fish is firm.
- Toss chopped raw peppers and parsley into couscous along with pepper, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1 tablespoon lemon juice.
- Place asparagus on top of couscous. Sprinkle the asparagus with remaining lemon juice. Top with salmon.
- Serve and enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Love the recipe? Need more ways to cook salmon? Let us know! Leave a comment below.