You don't have to give up pizza to stay on track!
When you’re eating healthy, pizza is one of those foods that’s incredibly hard to give up. Luckily, you don’t have to, thanks to our Pizza Stuffed Tomatoes! Since it’s a Skinny Ms. recipe, we’ve used turkey sausage and low-fat mozzarella, ditched the carby crust, and added plenty of herbs and spices for flavor. So, no matter your diet, you can enjoy this meal guilt-free!
Unlike traditional pizza, they’re relatively quick and easy to whip up, and will satisfy your pizza cravings in a healthy way. They also make great appetizers and reheat well for weekday lunches!
Pizza Stuffed Tomatoes
- 4 tomatoes large
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil divided
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 onion small, diced
- 1 green pepper small, diced
- 1 pound ground turkey sausage
- 1/2 cup pepperoni nitrate-free, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- 1 cup spinach fresh
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese part-skim, low-fat
- 2 tablespoons basil fresh, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Cut tops off tomatoes. Carefully scoop out the insides of tomatoes, reserving in a small bowl. Coat outside of tomatoes with two tablespoons of olive oil.
- In a skillet, heat the remaining olive oil on medium heat. Once hot, add garlic, onion, and green pepper. Sauté until soft. Add in ground turkey sausage and cook until browned, breaking up the meat as it cooks. Stir in reserved scooped tomato, pepperoni, Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Simmer and add in spinach, cook until wilted.
- Place tomatoes on a cookie sheet sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Fill with turkey mix. Sprinkle the tops with cheese and bake for 20 minutes or until tomatoes are tender and cheese is bubbling. Sprinkle with fresh basil.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Adapted from Lexi’s Clean Kitchen
Tell us what you thought! Leave a comment below!