Cashews really are a staple when it comes to plant-based cooking. I’ve always loved cashews for their salty, nutty flavor and high protein content. But it wasn’t until I started experimenting with more vegan recipes that I realized these tasty little nuts are so much more than just a snack. Cashews rule when it comes to making many plant-based recipes, including coffee creamer and even parmesan cheese. But cashews’ role as plant-based gold doesn’t stop at dairy substitutions. There’s so much these nuts can do! As this Plant-Based Cashew Flat Bread recipe will show you, cashews can even be used to make healthy, plant-based bread.
The Perfect Bread
Sounds too good to be true, right? But it’s not! This flat bread is soft with a buttery-like top, despite not having any butter or oil in the recipe.
So what is in this recipe?
This Plant-Based Cashew Flat Bread recipe starts with raw cashews soaked in water and blended into a creamy, pancake batter-like consistency. Simple, clean ingredients including maple syrup, salt and pepper, garlic powder, and dried oregano add just a touch of savory flavor to this soft, “buttery” flat bread.
Use this flat bread on sandwiches, serve with soup, or even enjoy as a snack with veggies and hummus. The options are endless.
Cashew Flat Bread is really very versatile, and there are tons of variations on this recipe. This recipe can be made into a sweet bread, a Mexican flat bread, and even a tasty chocolate sweet bread. Just switch up the additional ingredients to make any flavor bread you choose, and feel free to play around with fun new flavors. (Just be sure to let us know what you come up with in the comments!)
This flat bread can also be used as a healthy pizza crust option. If using as a pizza crust, bake as directed using my Plant-Based Cashew Flat Bread recipe, then add a thin layer of pizza sauce and toppings and bake until hot. The crust is thin so try not to overload it with too many toppings. A little shredded vegan cheese and 1-2 toppings are perfect.
For Your Sweet Tooth…
I often make Sweet Cashew Cinnamon Flat Bread and pop in the toaster oven for morning toast. Yum is an understatement. Here’s the recipe:
Sweet Cashew Cinnamon Flat Bread (use in place of additional recipe ingredients):
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons finely diced pecans, optional
Be careful, this bread is so good you can’t stop eating it! 🙂
Yield: 5 servings | Serving Size: 1 slice | Calories: 159 | Total Fat: 12 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Carbohyrates: 10 g | Fiber: 1 g | Sugar: 2 g | Protein: 5 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 125 mg | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 5
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 3/4 cup + 1 tablespoon water, plus 2 cups for soaking
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Preheat oven to 410 degrees. Line baking stone or baking sheet with two pieces parchment paper, one on top of the other, then set aside.
- Soak cashews in 2 cups water for 15 minutes, rinse and drain well. Use a paper towel and pat cashews to remove excess water.
- Add to blender or food processor, cashews and remaining 3/4 cup + 1 T. water, pulse until a creamy consistency, similar to pancake batter.
- Add additional ingredients, whisk to combine with batter.
- Pour batter in the center of the baking sheet and spread to approximately 9 x 9-inches. Bake 15 minutes, then carefully remove bread and top sheet of parchment paper, gently flip over onto the second piece of parchment paper.
- Return to the oven and bake an additional 15 minutes. Test the bread to make sure it's done in the middle. If needed, cook 1-2 more minutes. **Watch the bread closely to make sure it doesn't burn. Carefully flip bread over and place on a cooling rack. Allow to cool before cutting.
Subscribe to our Newsletter for more healthy living tips, tricks, and inspiration delivered straight to your inbox!