A breakfast and energy-booster in one!
Quinoa makes a hearty breakfast cereal while providing protein and complex carbohydrates. This recipe makes a perfect pre-workout food which provides energy that lasts for hours.
Quinoa Breakfast Cereal
- 1 cup white quinoa dry, pre-rinsed
- 2 cups water
- kosher or sea salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon honey optional maple syrup, coconut palm sugar or sucanat
- 1/2 cup low-fat milk warmed, optional almond or soy milk
- In a large saucepan, add dry quinoa, water, sal,t and sweetener, stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a low-boil and continue cooking until water has been absorbed, approximately 15 minutes.
- Transfer to serving bowls, divide warm milk evenly over cereal and add any toppings desired.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
I've never made quinoa. Can this be made ahead of time and reheated?
Cindy, The quinoa can but the breakfast cereal not so sure. It’s best if eaten right away.
This recipe sounds good, but the honey should not be added when bringing it to a boil. That kills the nutrients in honey. It may also be true about maple syrup, but not sure. Still the honey after you remove from heat.
To produce maple syrup they boil the hell out of tree sap for hours….I don't think that reheating it will cause a problem 😉
Woops! Should be "stir the honey in .. …" not "Still……
I love quinoa! I’m struggling to work out how many grams of quinoa for 1 serving (as this recipe is for 4 servings) all cups are different sizes as well. Can you tell me in grams please (I’m not the cleaverest!) thanks skinnyMs x
Becky, For one serving use 85g and double that amount in water. 🙂
Actually, if you look it up, 1/4 cup of dry quinoa weighs about 42g, and 1/2 cup water weighs about 118.3g.