A lightened-up version of a normally calorie-rich dish, this delectable Restaurant-Style Chicken Fried Rice dish tastes restaurant-worthy, yet you don’t have to eat out of a flimsy, white, takeout container this time!
For one thing, this recipe spotlights brown rice, instead of white. This substitution carries a bunch of nutrients that deserve some recognition. These include complex carbs, essential fatty acids, and a host of incredible vitamins and minerals:
- vitamin B6
Not only do these nutrients keep you full and focused, but they can stabilize blood sugar, prevent obesity, hook you up with long-lasting energy, lower stress, and boost your immune system.
Who knew the simple, cheap staple could come with so many health benefits?
But the nutritional perks don’t stop there. Your typical fried rice recipe relies mainly on white rice, vegetable oil for frying, and maybe a few frozen peas and carrots, here and there.
Here, we’ve swapped vegetable oil for sesame oil, a more nutritious, super delicious, nutty alternative used in many Asian dishes. A mere 2 tablespoons of the calcium-rich cooking oil adds a boatload of flavor without loading you up on calories.
Tasty veggies like sweet onions, tender carrots, and chewy peas join the party, adding vitamins and a splash of color to the dish.
But the addition of chicken really makes this rice meal special. By combining rice with tender, juicy chicken, the rice absorbs the meat’s vibrant and flavorful character and tastes even better than the fried rice you’re familiar with.
And you can easily modify this recipe into one that’s vegetarian-friendly by swapping the chicken out for tofu or simply subbing in more veggies.
So treat yourself to this Restaurant-Style Chicken Fried Rice dish and forget about compromising your healthy eating goals. Bon appetit!
Yields: 6 Servings | Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups | Calories: 310 | Total Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 91mg | Sodium: 665mg | Carbohydrates: 38g | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Protein: 18g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 6
- 4 cups cooked brown rice, chilled
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken breast, (optional thigh meat)
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2/3 cup diced sweet onions
- 1 cup diced (thawed) carrots
- 1 cup peas (thawed)
- 3-4 tablespoons lite soy sauce, optional gluten-free Tamari
- 2 large eggs
- Add sesame oil to a large skillet, over medium-low heat sauté onions, peas and carrots until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons water to the eggs and whip with a fork. Set aside.
- Increase temperature to medium, add chicken and rice and stir until hot. Push fried rice over to one side, add eggs and scramble. Add tamari and stir to coat rice ingredients. Enjoy!
We need your feedback! Let us know what you thought about this article or anything else on the site.