Who knew shrimp and peach could form a match made in flavor heaven? In this killer recipe, tender, juicy shrimp meets succulent peach slices. The dynamic duo is accompanied by a host of flavorful ingredients. Shrimp is coated in bold spices like paprika and saffron and sautéed in garlic to pink perfection. The protein-packed shellfish is then layered on a bed of satisfying rice and topped with tangy peaches.
This simple recipe delivers a boatload of flavors. Fruit slices add an innocent sweetness to the filling dish, while savory spices give it a zesty kick. With the combination of vibrant colors, these healthy rice bowls give off a stunning presentation.
Yields: 8 servings | Calories: 403 | Total Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 124mg | Sodium: 175mg | Carbohydrates: 49g | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Protein: 24g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 12 |
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked brown rice (long or short grained)
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 pound large raw shrimp, shelled
- 2 firm, ripe peaches, pitted and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and sliced
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped cilantro leaves
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lime, cut into 4 wedges for serving
- Add broth and brown rice to a pot and bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to lowest setting.
- Cook for about 35 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Remove from heat and fluff with a fork.
- Toss chopped peaches in one tablespoon lime juice and set aside.
- Place a sauté pan over medium heat and add oil. Add shrimp and sprinkle on salt, paprika, cayenne pepper, and saffron. Cook for 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 1 additional minute, or until shrimp is cooked through. Shrimp should be pink and opaque. Remove pan from heat.
- Evenly distribute rice into 4 bowls. Add shrimp and peaches over rice and sprinkle cilantro to serve.
- Serve with lemon wedges for squeezing on dish, if desired.
Loved the recipe? Let us know! Leave a comment about this article or anything else on the site below.