Zesty shrimp taco bowls perfect for easy meal-prep!
Last week, my friend and I met for happy hour drinks that inevitably turned into post-happy hour dinner. One glance at the menus, and we just couldn’t help ourselves. Against our usual rules, we both ordered the exact same thing: shrimp tacos. (This was extra embarrassing because when we arrived we realized we were also both wearing almost identical outfits, but I digress.)
My friend quickly downed both tacos while I leisurely made my way through my first. I was about to start my second when my friend looked me straight in the eye and said, “That taco looks so good that I just want to rip it out of your hands.”
I gave her the taco. Frankly, she earned it. That kind of passion is exactly the enthusiasm shrimp tacos deserve.
Why We Love Shrimp Tacos
Shrimp tacos are the superior taco, hands down, no argument. They’re the perfect combination of seafood and Mexican. Better yet, they also happen to be the healthiest way to enjoy tacos. Shrimp are a tasty, super low-cal protein, which makes a much better base for a healthy taco than ground beef or chicken.
Which brings us here. Inspired by my recent shrimp taco experience, I decided to put together this healthy recipe for shrimp taco bowls. Super easy, this recipe is great for meal prepping. That way, you can enjoy these shrimp taco bowls in the safety of your own home or office and not risk having them torn from your hands after a few happy hour drinks. (Although there’s no reason you can’t enjoy them with a some homemade happy hour drinks of your own.)
A Fun and Easy Meal-Prep Idea
Meal prep doesn’t have to be boring! These zesty shrimp taco bowls are a fun and fresh way to spice up your meal prep routine. Cooked in garlic, cumin, chili powder, and red pepper, this is shrimp with a kick. (If you want a little bit less spice, feel free to skip the red pepper.)
This recipe makes enough for four prepped meals. Start by dividing the brown rice among the four meal prep containers, filling about half of each container. Then, place four of your cooked shrimp on top of the rice in the center of each container. Place the beans, corn, tomatoes, and cheese in four piles surrounding the shrimp. Each ingredient should have its pile. Sprinkle the cilantro over top of all the ingredients, and that’s it! Easy, zesty shrimp taco bowls perfect for meal-prep! Just refrigerate until ready to eat, serve, and enjoy!
Easy Meal Prep Ideas: Shrimp Taco Bowls
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 20 shrimp medium, peeled and deveined
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups brown rice cooked
- 1 cup black beans canned, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn kernels canned or frozen (thawed)
- 1 cup tomatoes diced
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese fat-free, shredded
- 2 tablespoons cilantro chopped
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil on medium heat. Once hot, add the shrimp, garlic, cumin, chili powder, red pepper, and salt. Cook, about 5 minutes, until shrimp are firm and cooked through. Let cool.
- Divide the rice between 4 meal prep containers, the rice should fill about half the container. Place 4 shrimp in each container on top of the rice. Place the beans, corn, tomatoes, and cheese in 4 piles, each ingredient should have their own pile. Sprinkle the cilantro over top of all the ingredients. Cover and seal. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Follow us on Pinterest and Instagram for more healthy recipes, meal-prep, and fitness tips!
Do you eat these bowls cold or heated in microwave?
Hi Rhonda, you would need to reheat before eating.
Nice and simple but a little bland. I added a jalepeno and swapped chili powder for chili and lime powder. Ate with hot sauce to add some more flavor
Thank you for sharing, I will try this recipe tonight and I will let you know how it goes.