On those hectic days where dinner is the last thing on your mind, before you grab a microwavable meal or pop a frozen pizza in the oven, try this skillet chicken and herbs with garden salad recipe! This simple, light dinner is bursting with health benefits and a sea of flavors thanks to the savory spices and vegetables. With a little skillet cooking and spice sprinkling, you’ll have a flavorful, protein-packed chicken breast waiting for you. The chicken’s chewy, tender goodness is complemented beautifully by the garden salad, a side dish delivering garden-freshness in every bite. The sliced red onions pair perfectly with the juicy tomatoes, while the slivered almonds offer that occasional, delicate crunch. Accompanied by nutritional powerhouses like avocados and cucumbers, these vegetables add a rainbow of vibrant colors to the salad’s presentation.
So, instead of opting for an easy way out and sacrificing nutrition, whip up this ultra-healthy, super easy chicken and salad recipe!
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1 chicken breast and 2 1/2 cups salad | Calories: 365 | Total Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 83mg | Sodium: 359mg | Carbohydrates: 17g | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 7g | Protein: 30g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 10
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper (we used coarse, freshly ground)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon deydrated onions (optional 1/4 cup diced onion)
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced into thin wedges
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onions
- 1 cucumber, sliced into half circles
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup red, orange, or yellow bell pepper strips
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 6 cups loosely packed baby arugula, baby spinach, baby kale or mixed greens (can combine lettuces, if desired)
- 1/3 cup favorite clean eating dressing or homemade vinaigrette
- For the chicken:
- Using the bottom of a wide jar or glass, pound the chicken breasts to an even thickness. Use the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil, the salt and pepper and the spices to coat both sides of each of the chicken breasts.
- Place a pan with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat on the stovetop, making sure the oil coats the whole bottom before adding the chicken. Add the chicken breasts. Cook for 1 minute to get golden on the bottom. Turn the breasts over and turn the heat to low.
- Cover the pan with a tight fitting lid. Cook for 10 minutes (check time). Do not remove the lid while cooking. After 10 minutes, remove the pan from the heat, still covered, and allow to sit for 10 additional minutes. Make sure there is no pink in the middle of the breasts or that a meat thermometer reads 165 F when inserted in the center.
- For the salad:
- Toss together all of the vegetables and lettuce. Top with sliced almonds, if using. Toss in salad dressing to serve or serve it on the side. Serve the chicken with a side of salad, and enjoy!
We constantly update SkinnyMs. Subscribe to our newsletter so you don’t miss anything.
It is always a pleasure to hear from our readers. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.