Our Skillet Spaghetti with Spinach and Tomatoes is guaranteed to bring excitement to the dinner table! Whole grain or high-protein spaghetti is the ultimate go-to if you need a meatless protein fix or a pre-workout meal.
A vibrant canvas of emerald spinach and ruby red tomatoes gives the dish its gorgeous presentation. The slurpable spaghetti noodles are tossed with nutty pesto and enhanced with garlic and lemon juice. The recipe incorporates superfoods like walnuts, olive oil, and ultra-nutritious seasonings. Tender asparagus adds a delicate crunch and serves as the perfect finish to a lovely dish.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups | Calories: 267 | Total Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 4mg | Sodium: 152mg | Carbohydrates: 41g | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Protein: 8g | SmartPoints: 8
- 10 ounces whole grain or high protein spaghetti (your preference)
- 3 cups loosely packed spinach leaves, baby or regular spinach, bottom stems removed, divided
- 1-1/2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 bunch asparagus, cleaned, hard bottoms (about 2 inches) removed, and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup raw or toasted walnuts
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Boil and drain pasta according to package directions, reserving 1/4 to 1/2 cup of the pasta water for last step. Meanwhile, place asparagus and halved tomatoes in an oven-safe skillet or baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for about 15 minutes, until vegetables have browned in places and asparagus is tender. Remove from the oven.
- While pasta and veggies are cooking, add 1-1/2 cups of spinach and pesto ingredients (except walnuts) to blender. Puree on high until a smooth consistency is reached. Add the walnuts and puree again until smooth (there can be some coarse walnut pieces remaining).
- Toss pesto and pasta together. Add to skillet with the veggies, tossing to combine the veggies. Heat over low heat until the sauce coating the pasta is warmed. Add 1/4 cup pasta water while heating. Add additional to keep pasta sauce creamy, if necessary.
- Once heated through, serve and enjoy!
What spaghetti recipes would you like to see on SkinnyMs.? Let us know! We love hearing from our readers.