Popovers are traditionally made with refined white flour. But you know as well as we do that white flour is just a big, ol’ no-thanks when you’re eating clean. Enter our exclusive recipe for Skinny Breakfast Popovers. Gluten-free and paleo, they’re made with coconut milk and coconut flour, instead of the traditional white flour and whole milk. This ingredient swap doesn’t just add more nutrition to the mix, it also makes for a mildly sweet popover that’s perfect for breakfast. Topped with our recipe for Instant Strawberry Jam, this recipe is one you’ll love so much, you’ll want to make it again for lunch…and possibly dinnertime, too!
These healthy popovers are bursting with great flavors. The combination of egg with coconut milk, sea salt, and coconut flour, creates a sweet but refreshing taste that is enhanced by the sea salt. And the topping is a perfect blend of flavors. Strawberries being the sweetness you’re craving, maple syrup intensifies it, and orange zest cuts that sweetness with a refreshing citrusy tang. Cinnamon adds a hint of spice for the ideal flavor combo.
Don’t have a popover pan? You can make this recipe in a muffin tin, as well. Don’t expect the same high-rising popovers as seen in our photos, but you’ll still yield a nice batch of light popovers which bake with a little lift. And no one can resist these treats, as even your friends who have gone paleo or are trying gluten-free diets will be able to indulge.
Yields: 12 servings | Serving Size: 1 popover | Calories: 112 | Total Fat: 8 g | Saturated Fat: 5 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 124 mg | Sodium: 152 mg | Carbohydrates: 6 g | Dietary Fiber: 1 g | Sugars: 4 g | Protein: 5 g | SmartPoints: 5
- FOR THE POPOVERS:
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon. sea salt
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- FOR THE JAM:
- 1 cup strawberries
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- pinch cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a 12-cup popover tin with nonstick baking spray.
- Place eggs, coconut milk, sea salt, and coconut flour in a large stand mixer. Beat until very well mixed, about 1 minute on high.
- Pour batter into the prepared popover tin, filling each cup about 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until tops are lightly browned. Don't open the oven door--the popovers can collapse. Serve warm, topped with Instant Strawberry Jam.
- FOR THE INSTANT STRAWBERRY JAM:
- Smash strawberries with maple syrup, add orange zest and cinnamon. Stir until well combined. Spoon over warm popovers. Enjoy!
Get clean eating recipes, innovative new workouts, and healthy lifestyle tips delivered right to your inbox with our newsletter! And for even more SkinnyMs., check out our Facebook and Pinterest to stay informed!
We need your feedback! Go to the comments section to let us know what you think of this article, and tell us what you’d like to see more of!