If you're in the mood for tacos but don't want the mess, make this casserole instead!
If you’re in the mood for tacos, but you don’t want to make a mess in the kitchen, you have another option. You don’t have to order take-out just to make things easier on yourself. This quick and easy weeknight dinner recipe will satisfy your taste buds without expanding your waistline! We’d love to introduce you to the Skinny Chicken Tortilla Casserole, our new go-to recipe when we don’t feel like cooking but want to eat healthy anyway.
The best part about this Skinny Chicken Tortilla Casserole? It’s a crowd pleaser. Even the pickiest member of your family will love this dish. When we were kids, my mother used to call this dish “Mexican Lasagna.” We were such picky eaters that we wouldn’t try new foods, and rebranding this tortilla casserole as lasagna worked every time! Give it a try if you have picky eaters in your family – I’m sure my mother would be happy to lend you the phrase.
A Quick and Easy Weeknight Dinner
Dinner doesn’t have to be filled with extravagant ingredients just to make it healthy. Sometimes, all you need is a good combination of protein and vegetables to create a balanced, healthy meal. This Skinny Chicken Tortilla Casserole ticks all those boxes, plus a few extra.
You’ll get a ton of healthy, lean protein from the shredded chicken. If you don’t have any leftovers on hand, you can quickly create some by simmering chicken breasts in regular old water. Or, you can make shredded chicken overnight in your slow cooker. If you do happen to have leftovers, this is also a great opportunity to use them up. Feel free to chuck in whatever shredded chicken you have on hand. Even if it’s flavored, it’ll probably still taste great!
Between the tomatoes in the sugar-free salsa and the red bell peppers, you’ll sneak some vegetables into your diet. This is especially important for those of you who have picky eaters in the family! You could also add some chopped spinach to the mix, if you think you can get away with it.
Finally, the Greek yogurt makes a perfect sour cream replacement, providing some calcium to the dish without adding too much excess fat. Bring it all together with ooey, gooey melted cheese (reduced-fat, of course!) and you’ll have a dish that everyone will love.
The Best Way To Serve Skinny Chicken Tortilla Casserole
I love serving this dish as-is in little squares. It looks great on the plate alone, but you could also add some optional toppings like extra salsa, avocado, shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, or cilantro. If you’re looking to make this meal more substantial, you could also serve it with a side of rice. We especially love the flavors in this Skinny Mexican Rice.
As with most casseroles, the leftovers almost taste better the next day, so don’t be afraid to make a whole batch even if you’re just feeding one or two people. You can cut the casserole into individual servings and place them in airtight containers. Chuck ’em into the freezer and you’ll have a ready-to-go lunch or dinner for a later time.
Skinny Chicken Tortilla Casserole
- 1 cup Greek yogurt fat-free
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 cup salsa sugar-free
- 3 cups chicken cooked, shredded (from about 1 pound chicken breasts)
- 1 cup corn kernels frozen
- 1 red bell pepper medium, diced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese reduced-fat, shredded
- 12 corn tortillas 6 inch
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 13x9 casserole dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt, skim milk, and salsa.
- Add the chicken, corn, bell pepper, and half of the cheese and stir to combine.
- Arrange 4 of the tortillas over the bottom of the casserole dish, overlapping if necessary.
- Top the tortillas with 1/3 of the chicken mixture. Cover the chicken with 4 tortillas and repeat the process.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top of the final layer of tortillas and bake for 30 minutes, covered with aluminum foil, until the mixture is warm and bubbly.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes, until the cheese is lightly browned.
- Let the casserole rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Casseroles make great weeknight dinners, and we have a ton of recipes on our site! Subscribe to the newsletter to get the newest recipes emailed right to your inbox. You can also follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram to browse our extensive collection.