This easy skillet recipe is delicious in burritos, tacos, casseroles, and as a dinner side.
Taco Tuesday isn’t just a single day in my house: We usually celebrate it all week long. It’s almost like it’s become a way of life! It’s not uncommon to have tacos for breakfast, lunch, or dinner multiple days in a row. They never get old because you can create so much variety with one single dish. And, if I’m being honest, sometimes we make the tacos larger (aka, burritos) and sometimes we’ll skip the tortilla altogether and make a casserole or a rice bowl. Having this Skinny Mexican Rice on hand makes that kind of variability possible because it really ties the rest of the ingredients together.
If you don’t usually make rice as a side dish when you’re eating Mexican food, you should really start with this Skinny Mexican Rice. It’s super easy to create and it adds some extra fiber and protein to your meal. And, at 224 calories per cooked cup, you can really add a ton of filling flavor to your meal without sacrificing your waistline.
The Flavors of the Southwest
The flavors of the southwest come to life in this easy prep recipe. There’s something magical about the way that cumin, green chiles, tomatoes, and cilantro come together. They basically create a saucy coating for simple, brown rice. All you need to do is cook down your onions and garlic to give them some depth, then add the remaining ingredients. Let it cook away and it’ll taste like you put a ton of effort into it!
If you want to make things even easier, you can use a rice cooker. You’ll still need to saute your onions and garlic before you get started (unless you have an Instant Pot, which has a function for that!). But, it does make the cooking process very hands-off and it makes it almost impossible to burn the bottom of the rice. I don’t know about you, but I always seem to forget about that pot of rice cooking away on the stovetop…
The best part about this recipe is the way it brings rice to a whole new mouthwatering level. It tastes so good on its own, you can enjoy it solo as a side dish. It’s really good when you top it with a side of Guacamole Verde, too. Or, you can turn it into the main event and serve it with meats and vegetables. We especially love pairing it with Mexican Shredded Beef.
After you make it a few times, you won’t be able to stop. This rice dish is perfect for filling tacos and burritos, and it also makes an incredible base for a taco bowl or casserole. And, since there’s always leftovers, you know you’ll have lunch covered the next day, too! So what are you waiting for? Go ahead and whip up a batch of this super easy Skinny Mexican Rice. We can’t wait to hear what you think about this simple but delicious dish.
Skinny Mexican Rice
- 1 onion small, diced
- 1/4 cup water plus more as needed
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup long-grain rice (recommend Uncle Ben's Long Grain Brown Rice - not the quick or instant kind)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 cup cilantro freshly chopped
- 14 1/2 ounces petit diced tomatoes can
- 4 ounces diced green chiles can, optional
- 2 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth, low-sodium
- In a large skillet or saucepan add water and diced onion. Turn to medium-low heat and saute onion until tender, about 5 minutes. Add more water as it evaporates. Add garlic and continue to saute one additional minute.
- Add remaining ingredients, cover, reduce heat, and simmer on low for approximately 45 minutes or until rice has soaked up the liquid and is tender. If rice needs more liquid, add 1/4 cup as needed, or until rice is tender.
- Remove from heat, leave covered and allow to set 10 minutes before serving.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
For more inspired skinny recipes, follow us on Facebook, Pinterest, or Instagram. Or, go ahead and subscribe to our newsletter. We’ll send all the latest recipes and workout plans right to your inbox!