Flavors of the southwest come to life in this easy prep recipe. Simply sauté some onions and garlic, add in the remaining ingredients and let it cook. The flavors of cumin, green chilies, and fresh cilantro bring this dish to a whole new mouthwatering level. Skinny Mexican Rice goes great with a side of Guacamole Verde, and can be served along with Mexican Shredded Beef.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving size: 1 cup | Calories: 215 | Total Fat: 2 g | Saturated Fats: 0 g | Trans Fats: 0 gm | Cholesterol: 381 mg | Sodium: 78 mg | Carbohydrates: 46 g | Dietary fiber: 4 g | Sugars: 6 g | Protein: 5 g | SmartPoints: 7 |
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 1/4 cup water, + more as needed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup long grain brown rice (recommend Uncle Ben's Long Grain Brown Rice - not the quick or instant kind)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- 1(14.5 ounce) can petit diced tomatoes
- 1(4 ounce) can diced green chiles (optional)
- 2 cups vegetable broth, low sodium (optional, chicken broth)
- In a large skillet or sauce pan add water and diced onion. Turn to medium-low heat and saute onion until tender, about 5 minutes. Add more water as it evaporates. Add garlic and continue to saute one additional minute.
- Add remaining ingredients, cover, reduce heat and simmer on low for approximately 45 minutes or until rice has soaked up the liquid and is tender. If rice needs more liquid, add 1/4 cup as needed, or until rice is tender.
- NOTE: The time it takes to cook the rice will depend on the brand. Some brands take 35 minutes, while others take up to an hour. We prefer Uncle Ben's Long Grain Rice because it is tender in approximately 35-45 minutes.
- Remove from heat, leave covered and allow to set 10 minutes before serving.