A tasty fiesta in every spoonful!
This spicy and nutritious soup is also quick and easy to make. Flavorful and filling, it can be served with a side of whole grain bread, and topped with fresh herbs or avocado.
Slow Cooker - Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup celery diced, approximately 2 stalks
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless and skinless chicken breast uncooked, cut into bite size pieces (optional skinless, boneless thighs or a combination of breasts & thighs)
- 4 carrots peeled and sliced
- 15 ounces black beans can, drained
- 15 ounces pinto beans can, drained
- 14 1/2 ounces fire roasted tomatoes can, optional diced tomatoes
- 4 ounces diced jalapeño peppers can, optional 2 fresh jalapeño peppers seeded and diced
- 4 cups chicken broth or stock low-sodium, fat-free
- kosher or sea salt to taste
- 2 teaspoons Skinny Ms. Taco Seasoning optional ground cumin
- 1/2 cup cilantro freshly chopped
- 6 white corn tortillas cut into 1/4 inch wide strips, then cut strips in half
- Add all ingredients to the slow cooker, except tortillas. Cook on low 7 - 8 hours, or until carrots are tender.
- The last 20 minutes of cooking time, cut the tortillas in half, then cut into 1/2" strips, add to slow cooker. Cook an additional 20 to 25 minutes.
- If desired, add a dollop of fat-free Greek yogurt or sour cream and reduced-fat grated cheddar cheese.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms