Our Veggie Stew has that same pot pie taste you love without the additional calories and fat of a traditional pot pie. You’ll love the taste, the health benefits, and the low calorie count of this comfort food stew.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups | Calories: 97 | Total Fat: 1 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 3 | Carbohydrates: 18 g | Sodium: 130 mg | Dietary Fiber: 4 g | Sugars: 7 g | Protein: 5 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 4 |
- 1 small onion
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 1 large sweet potato, chopped into 1/2" cubes
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 1 small Chayote Squash, chopped into 1/2" cubes (Or, vegetable of choice)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen green beans
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth, low-sodium
- 2 cups low-fat milk (I used 1%) Note: Skim does not work for this recipe
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch + 2 tablespoons water, optional
- Add all ingredients, except milk, cornstarch & water, to the slow cooker, cover and cook on low 8-9 hours, or until carrots are tender. The last 30 minutes of cooking time, combine cornstarch and water, add to slow cooker, stir. Add milk, stir, cover and continue cooking until thickened.
- Optional thickening method: The last 30 minutes of cooking time, remove 1 cup broth & veggies, mash with a fork and return to slow cooker, stir. Cover and continue cooking 30 additional minutes.
- NOTE: If a more subtle onion taste is preferred, add 2 teaspoons olive oil to a small skillet, turn to medium-low heat and saute onion until tender, about 5 minutes. Add to slow cooker with other ingredients.