Simple whole food ingredients, combined to make a refreshing frozen treat.
One of my favorite things about summer – besides air conditioning – is a bowl of fresh, ripe berries. I also love a light, refreshing sorbet packed with summer berry goodness. As a tribute to the summer strawberry, I’ve created this Skinny Strawberry Sorbet.
Simple, Whole, Fresh Ingredients
Start with ripe, sweet, juicy strawberries. Add bright citrus juice and zest from navel oranges and stir in a hint of local, raw honey. Finally, puree the mixture and pop it into the freezer. That’s it: you’re done! It really is that easy to make a mouthwatering frozen summer treat.
Make Skinny Strawberry Sorbet extra-special by adding any of the following additions:
- Add two tablespoons of chopped fresh basil, culinary lavender, or thyme.
- Pour the pureed mixture into ice cube trays and insert toothpicks to create mini popsicles.
- Scoop the frozen mixture into champagne flutes and add champagne or sparkling wine for a boozy treat!
No Ice Cream Maker Necessary
I know what you’re thinking: “How can I make sorbet without an ice cream maker?” All you need to make this tasty treat is sugar, water, and air. You do not need an ice cream maker. If you don’t have one, follow these easy adjustments to the recipe.
First, prepare the pureed fruit according to the recipe. Next, you’ll want to blend and heat the “simple syrup” of honey, orange zest, and juice. Finally, mix the fruit puree and simple syrup together and process it again in the food processor or blender until smooth.
Without an ice cream maker, you can just pour the mixture into any freezer-safe container. Then, cover it and freeze for about 20 minutes. Remove the mixture from the freezer and use a large spoon to “scrape” or stir it up. Repeat this process every 20 minutes until the mixture reaches the consistency you prefer.
If you find that the sorbet is frozen too “solid” to scoop, simply allow to sit at room temperature for 5 to 10 minutes until you’re able to easily spoon and serve. Once the sorbet has the texture you like, scoop into serving dishes and enjoy!
Skinny Strawberry Sorbet
- 2 1/2 cups strawberries (fresh or frozen), tops removed, quartered
- 1 1/2 cups orange juice no sugar added
- 2 navel oranges zested and juiced
- 1/3 cup honey
- Heat honey and orange juice over medium-high heat in a small saucepan until honey is warm, not boiling, and is easily stirred, about 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in fresh orange juice and orange zest. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- In a food processor, pulse strawberries until smooth, about 5 minutes.
- Stir strawberries and orange honey mixture together until completely incorporated.
- Pour into the bowl of an ice cream maker and churn according to machine instructions (about 30 minutes).
- Pour into a freezer-safe container and store in freezer until ready to serve.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Want more recipes like this sent directly to your inbox? First, subscribe to our newsletter.