Curl up to a bomb bowl of clean-eating burgoo stew!
Burgoo is a favorite in Kentucky, especially on Derby Day, because it’s a hearty stew recipe that will satisfy comfort food cravings and will fill you up. There are many variations of Burgoo, but not all of them are healthy. This bean Burgoo recipe is our clean-eating version. We recommend serving Burgoo with our recipe for Old-Fashioned Corn Bread.
Slow Cooker 13-Bean Burgoo Stew
- 1 cup 13-bean mixture dry, optional - 2 (15 ounce) cans lima beans or other legumes, drained
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth fat-free, low-sodium
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless and skinless chicken breasts cut into 2 inch cubes (3 pieces)
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 sweet onion small, diced
- 2 red potatoes medium, cut into 2 inch cubes
- 3 carrots peeled, sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
- 2 ribs celery diced
- 1 cup okra frozen
- 1 cup corn frozen
- 1 bay leaf
- 14 1/2 ounces diced tomatoes can
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- kosher or sea salt to taste
- Sort beans and discard any with blemishes. Rinse beans and place in a large pot with 3 cups of water, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Cover beans, and soak in water overnight. Drain and rinse beans.
- Add beans and remaining ingredients to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low 8-9 hours.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our daily eNewsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Skinny Ms., check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.