A beautifully divine addition to any meal!
When many of us think of beets, we remember the vinegar-soaked variety our grandmothers would serve us from a big jar. For that very reason, a lot of us never really enjoy beets until we begin experimenting with them ourselves. Beets can be enjoyed in so many different ways! They have an amazing color that cannot be beat and a wonderfully soft texture when cooked low and slow. This is a super simple recipe for slow cooker beets. This beet recipe is delicious on its own, but when paired with this AMAZING goat cheese sauce recipe, the combination is divine!
Note: When slow cooking beets, make sure to scrub any dirt or grime off the beets’ exterior before wrapping with foil.
You might also like our Roasted Beet Salad.
Slow Cooker Beets with Creamy Goat Cheese Sauce
- 4 beets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
Goat Cheese Spread
- 4 ounces soft goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon basil fresh
- 1 teaspoon thyme fresh
- Begin by scrubbing the exterior of the beet to remove any dirt from the skin. Remove tops from the beets.
- Make 4, 6” x 6” squares of aluminum foil. Place a beet in the center of each square.
- Drizzle beets with olive oil and just a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Wrap the foil around the beet until it is completely enclosed.
- Place beets in your slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours.
- For the Goat Cheese Sauce, combine the cheese olive oil, basil, and thyme in a blender. Blend until smooth. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- When removing the packages from the slow cooker, carefully open the aluminum foil and allow any steam to escape (they will be very hot!!)
- Once the beets are cool, remove the skins with a small knife – the skins should just fall off. Serve with goat cheese sauce and fresh basil. Enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our daily enewsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Skinny Ms., check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.
A good substitution for the goat cheese?
I would suggest Feta.
Do you peel the beets?
Bethany, You don’t peel the beets before cooking. 🙂
Do you happen to know what the time would be in an instant pot?
The beets will take about 20 minutes in an Instant Pot on high pressure. Keep in mind this time does not include the time it takes for the Instant Pot to heat up!