Looking for a way to expand your selection of vegetables, but not sure where to begin? Roasted Beet Salad is my all time favorite. You can use canned beets for this recipe, but I recommend freshly roasted if available. These have the freshest, rain-soaked and just from the garden taste that I love. Healthy salads come in all shapes and sizes, and the key to incorporating salad into your daily menu is to switch things up. Our roasted beet salad recipe is a great addition to your collection of salad recipes.
The problem many healthy eaters find with salads is once they are fully prepared, they are no longer all that healthy. This is especially true when you do not have complete control over salad ingredients. Many of the salads featured on the menus of popular restaurants are packed with calories and actually unhealthier than the burgers and fries not listed in the “healthy” section of the menu! Making salads at home is the best way to ensure they have the freshest, healthiest ingredients. You control the calories, you control the ingredients, and you guarantee you will be eating the vitamins and nutrients that will keep you healthy and vibrant.
Yields: 4 servings | Calories: 210 | Total Fat: 12 g | Saturated Fats: 2 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 6 mg | Sodium: 228 mg | Carbohydrates: 17 g | Dietary fiber: 6 g | Sugars: 5 g | Protein: 7 g | SmartPoints: 7 |
- 2 medium fresh red beets, scrubbed and dried
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 cups arugula
- 1 Belgian Endive, chopped (see below for selecting), optional
- 1/2 cup diced walnuts (provide healthy fats)
- 1/2 cup Feta Cheese crumbles, low fat or fat free
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Kosher or Sea Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brush beets with olive oil and wrap individually in foil, place on a cookie sheet and bake approximately 1 hour, or until tender. Allow beets to cool at room temperature while still in foil, then peel the thin outer skin and cut into 1/4" slices. Store beets in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Tip: Canned beets can be substituted for roasted beets, if preferred.
- Layer salad ingredients by placing arugula and beets on a serving platter. Top with Belgian Endive, walnuts, Feta Cheese and top off with freshly ground black pepper and drizzle with dressing.
- Lemon Dressing
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Combine lemon juice and oil in a decanter and shake until combined. Refrigerator until ready to use.
- NOTE: Be sure to choose endives that are smooth and white with yellow tips and leaves that are closed at the tips. To clean, wipe with a paper towel or cloth if needed. Slice off about 1/8th" from the stem end. Using a knife, cut a cone shape about 1/2" deep from the stem end. Chopped into 1" pieces.
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.