We adore Julia Child. This woman made even the most intimidating recipes seem so easy and accessible! Do you remember watching old episodes of “The French Chef” and cooking along with her? One of our favorite Julia Child recipes is her classic “Slow Cooker Boeuf Bourguignon” which is basically French Beef Stew. This recipe is so simple yet packed with flavor. It makes a perfect go-to meal whenever company is coming over! However, sometimes life gets a little hectic and we need to make the process a little more simple. So, this is an adaptation of Boeuf Bourguignon is for the Slow Cooker! All the flavors of the classic are here, but it requires very little effort on the part of the cook!
This is a great winter recipe that we’re sure you and your family will love!
Yields: 8-10 servings | Serving Size: 3/4 cup |Calories: 317 | Total Fat: 8.6 g | Saturated Fat: 3.2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 122 mg | Sodium: 371 mg | Carbohydrates: 5.5 g | Dietary Fiber: 0.8 g | Sugars: 1.8 g | Protein: 43.7 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 6
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 pounds lean stewing beef, cut into 2 inch cubes
- 1 sliced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (good quality) Pinot Noir
- 3 cups low-sodium beef stock
- 1 Tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 pound white or Cremini mushrooms
- 2 tablespoon flour (optional cornstarch)
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. While the oil is warming up, dry the beef in paper towels. (If the beef is damp, it won't brown!) Gently saute the beef until browned on all sides.
- Add the browned beef to your slow cooker. Add the onion, garlic, salt, pepper, Pinot Noir, Beef Stock, tomato paste, and thyme. Make sure the beef is completely covered (add water if necessary)
- Cover and cook on low for 8 -9 hours. With 1.5 hours, remaining, add the mushrooms. I don't add the mushrooms till later in the cooking process, because I like them to be slightly firm.
- When the beef is nice and tender, remove the meat and vegetables from your slow cooker and keep warm. In a small bowl, add flour or cornstarch to 1/4 cup stock, wine, or water and whisk until combined. Add to the remaining sauce and stir to thicken.
- Pour sauce over meat and vegetables and enjoy!
Check out these Julia Child books: