Slow Cooker Broccoli, Brown Rice, and Cheddar Casserole
Instead of canned soups, this slow cooker recipe for brown rice and broccoli casserole uses a quick, homemade creamy mushroom sauce and low fat cheddar cheese. In a unique twist for a casserole recipe, crunchy walnuts are used instead of breadcrumbs for a healthy, flavorful topping. If you want to make this a meal, you can easily add chopped or shredded chicken. This version of Broccoli and Cheese Casserole is made in the slow cooker; you’re guaranteed to love it!
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1/2 cup | Calories: 293 | Total Fat: 9 g | Saturated Fat: 4 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 16 mg | Sodium: 232 mg | Carbohydrates: 39 g | Dietary Fiber: 4 g | Sugars: 7 g | Protein: 14 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 10 |
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked brown rice
- 1 pound broccoli florets, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces, optional garnish
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the butter. When melted, add the mushrooms, onion and garlic, and cook until soft. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the flour and cook until browned and bubbly. Slowly whisk in the milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Stir for one minute and turn off heat. Add half cup of cheese, and stir until melted.
- Add the uncooked rice to the slow cooker, followed by the broccoli and cheese sauce. Add 2 cups water and stir. Cover and cook over low heat for 6 hours until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. Remove lid and sprinkle remaining cheddar on top, followed by the Parmesan. Cover and cook for 1 more hour before serving. Sprinkle with walnuts pieces, if desired.