This savory and ultra-nutritious is perfect for a cool autumn evening.
Are you ready for fall yet? Our Slow Cooker Butternut Squash and Kale Stew is our SkinnyMs. take on a popular Portuguese soup. To skinny it up, we used butternut squash and sweet potato in place of white potatoes, and black beans instead of sausage. With this protein-packed recipe, you get a hearty vegetarian stew that’s super easy to make. Plus, it’s chock-full of superfoods that will be sure to make you feel amazing!
If you’re not eating vegetarian, you could still use sausage or add a bit of bacon for a smoky flavor. Either way, this is an absolutely delicious and filling meal in and of itself–especially on a chilly night when you need something warm in your belly.
Slow Cooker Butternut Squash & Kale Stew
- 2 cups carrots sliced
- 1 butternut squash small, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 sweet potato cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 cup cilantro fresh, chopped
- 1 onion small, diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 30 ounces black beans cans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- kosher or sea salt to taste
- 2 cups vegetable juice (I used R.W. Knudsen, Organic Very Veggie Juice, no sugar added)
- 2 cups vegetable broth low-sodium
- 8 ounces kale coarsely chopped
- Combine all ingredients, except for the kale, in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours, high for 3-4 hours, or until veggies are tender.
- Add kale and cover for about ten minutes until the kale is wilted.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
What is your favorite soup recipe? Share your recipes in the comments!