Are you ready for fall yet? Our Slow Cooker Butternut Squash and Kale Stew is our SkinnyMs. take on a popular Portuguese soup. To skinny it up, we used butternut squash and sweet potato in place of white potatoes, and black beans instead of sausage. With this protein-packed recipe, you get a hearty vegetarian stew that’s super easy to make. Plus, it’s chock-full of superfoods that will be sure to make you feel amazing!
If you’re not eating vegetarian, you could still use sausage or add a bit of bacon for a smoky flavor. Either way, this is an absolutely delicious and filling meal in and of itself–especially on a chilly night when you need something warm in your belly.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 229 | Total Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 413mg | Carbohydrates: 46g | Fiber: 15g | Sugar: 8g | Protein: 13g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 7
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 1 small butternut squash, cut into 1/2" cubes
- 1 sweet potato, cut into 1/2” cubes
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 2 cups vegetable juice (I used R.W. Knudsen, Organic Very Veggie Juice, no sugar added)
- 2 cups vegetable broth, low-sodium
- 8 ounces of kale, coarsely chopped
- Combine all ingredients, except for the kale, in the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours, high for 3-4 hours, or until veggies are tender.
- Add kale and cover for about ten minutes until the kale is wilted.
What is your favorite soup recipe? Share your recipes in the comments!