“I created this slow cooker recipe a few years ago. It is so yummy and savory especially on a cold day. I never really had an official recipe for it, I just added spices until I thought there was enough! Luckily my friend, Katie, did take the time to measure out the spices one of the times she made it! Hope you enjoy it as much as I do. If you want it to be more soupy, add more chicken broth.”
~ Lori Naisby, SkinnyMs. Reader
Minimum Crock Pot size: 5 quarts
Yields 10 Servings | Serving Size 1 Cup | Calories: 174 | Total Fat: 1 g | Saturated Fat: 0 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 162 mg | Total Carbohydrate: 36 g | Dietary Fiber: 9 g | Sugars: 4 g | Protein: 8 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 2 |
- 3 cups butternut squash, cubed
- 3 potatoes, scrubbed and cubed
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup white corn (optional yellow corn)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth (low sodium, low fat)
- 1 tsp cilantro or 1 “bunch” fresh cilantro
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp ginger
- ¾ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 jalapeño, diced (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- For added color and flavor sprinkle with a small amount of fresh cilantro and a fresh shaved parmesan.
- I love to serve this with jalapeño cornbread. To make, add one diced jalapeño to your favorite cornbread recipe.