“I created this slow cooker recipe a few years ago. It is so yummy and savory especially on a cold day. I never really had an official recipe for it, I just added spices until I thought there was enough! Luckily my friend, Katie, did take the time to measure out the spices one of the times she made it! Hope you enjoy it as much as I do. If you want it to be more soupy, add more chicken broth.”
~ Lori Naisby, SkinnyMs. Reader
Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup
- 3 cups butternut squash cubed
- 3 potatoes scrubbed and cubed
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1 cup white corn optional yellow corn
- 1 15 ounce can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 15 ounce can white beans rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth low sodium, low fat
- 1 tsp cilantro or 1 “bunch” fresh cilantro
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp ginger
- ¾ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 jalapeño diced (optional)
- Combine all ingredients in slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
- For added color and flavor sprinkle with a small amount of fresh cilantro and a fresh shaved parmesan.
- I love to serve this with jalapeño cornbread. To make, add one diced jalapeño to your favorite cornbread recipe.