You can enjoy creamy gravy without the added fat or processed ingredients. Browning the mushrooms and chicken to a golden color before slow cooking adds extra savory flavor to this dish. We used the Hamilton Beach Stovetop Slow Cooker for this recipe, and were able to brown the meat directly in the insert on the stovetop first. Alternately, you can use a skillet for browning.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Mushroom Gravy
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless and skinless chicken breasts about 3 fillets
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 16 ounces crimini mushrooms sliced
- 1 yellow onion thinly sliced into rings
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- kosher or sea salt to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh flat leaf parsley chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth low sodium fat free
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Add oil to a skillet or slow cooker, if using a Stovetop Slow Cooker, turn to medium-high heat and sear chicken on both sides just until brown, remove and place on a paper towel. Reduce heat to medium-low, add onion to the same skillet, and saute until tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add chicken, onion and remaining ingredients to the slow cooker, cover and cook on low 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 hours or until chicken is done and easily flakes with a fork. Note: Mushrooms, onion and garlic go on top of chicken.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and set aside. Add cornstarch to slow cooker and whisk until smooth. Return chicken to slow cooker and continue cooking until gravy is thick, about 15 minutes.
- Serving suggestions: Serve over brown rice or whole-wheat pasta.
RECIPE SIGNUP: If you’re interested in receiving our newest and best Slow Cooker recipes via email, signup here: daily eNewsletter.
Click here for the Top 10 Slow Cooker Recipes on SkinnyMs.