There are so many varieties of chili out there. This Slow Cooker Chicken Chili is our family’s go to slow cooker recipe when we want something easy to prepare, yummy, and ready to eat at the end of a long work day. Topped with fresh onions, cilantro, and cheddar, there’s no pre-cooking or complicated prep required, so it’s a true “set it and forget it” slow cooker meal.
Slow Cooker Chicken Chili
This easy slow cooker chicken chili is relatively light and low-calorie compared to the classic beef or pork chili. Boneless chicken breasts and a variety of canned beans make the chili super easy and convenient. We used cannellini beans for their fluffy texture and a slightly nutty, mild flavor. We added the obvious kidney beans too. These add not only fiber and protein but also a good hit of antioxidants.
Just dump everything in the slow cooker and close the lid. It literally takes about 5 minutes to prepare. Use just enough liquid to cover the ingredients, but no more than that. Liquid tends to double in a slow cooker meal. For thicker chili, add a few tablespoons of cornmeal about thirty minutes before it’s done.
What if I’m vegetarian?
We always encourage you to play with our recipes and adjust them however you feel necessary! Sometimes I will add more garlic if I’m sick, an extra jalapeño, or more beans if I’m extra hungry. This recipe serves as a convenient base recipe where you can add or reduce pretty much anything in order to fit your family’s preferences. If you’re vegetarian, feel free to swap out the chicken for more beans and cubed sweet potato. All you need is some homemade Old-Fashioned Cornbread and you’re ready to eat!
Yields: 10 servings | Serving size: 1 cup | Calories: 222 | Total Fat: 4 g | Saturated Fats: 1 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 54 mg | Sodium: 656 mg | Carbohydrates: 23 g | Dietary fiber: 6 g | Sugars: 5 g | Protein: 24 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 1 |
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup diced sweet onion
- 2 -3 chicken breast fillets (1.5 lbs) cut into bite size pieces (optional skinless, boneless thighs or a combination of breasts & thighs)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes with liquid
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, fat free, low sodium (optional vegetable broth or water)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can Cannellini or Navy beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15.5 ounce) can Kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup reduced fat cheddar cheese for garnish
- Combine all the above ingredients in the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low 8 hours in a 4-6 quart slow cooker. Spoon into bowls and garnish with a little cheddar cheese and diced onion, if desired.
- Note: The chicken used in this recipe was raw when going in the slow cooker. If you already have cooked chicken, just add it about an hour before the end of cooking time.
Ready for dessert? 5 Chocolate Treats Under 230 Calories
RECIPE SIGNUP: If you’re interested in receiving the newest and best Slow Cooker recipes via email from SkinnyMs., signup here: daily eNewsletter Signup.