Traditional Spanish paella is a time-consuming dish with as many variations as there are families in Spain! If you’re not looking for that kind of commitment, our Slow Cooker Paella has all the flavors of a traditional paella without the hassle. Simply brown the chicken and throw everything into your slow cooker, then let it do its thing. Just a few hours later you will have a complete Spanish comfort food feast. No need to babysit a pan!
Serve with a nice glass of Spanish wine, cheese, and crusty bread for a flavorful trip to Spain without leaving the comfort of your own home!
Yields: 8 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 388 | Total Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 52mg | Sodium: 256mg | Carbohydrates: 51g | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 5g | Protein: 23g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 11
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups short grained rice (optional: arborio)
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 ounces turkey chorizo, roughly chopped
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 cups peas, fresh or frozen
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon saffron
- 1 bay leaf
- Heat the oil in a pan on medium. Add the chicken and cook until the outsides are all browned. Add all the ingredients, including the chicken, to the slow cooker and cook on low for 3 to 4 hours, high for 1 to 2 hours, or until the rice has soaked up the liquid. Remove the bay leaf and serve with fresh parsley and lemon juice!
Other recipes to try:
What are your favorite international meals? Let us know in the comments section below, and let us know if there are any recipes you want us to make!