Our Slow Cooker Chicken Cordon Bleu Soup has all the classical flavors of Chicken Cordon Bleu in a satisfying soup. We’ve used low-fat Swiss cheese and low-fat milk to skinny it up, but kept butter and flour as a thickener to achieve a silky, creamy texture. Ham, vegetables, and tarragon help to build complex flavors while chicken keeps it high in protein. Most of the work is done in a slow cooker, so you can walk away from it for a while if you have other things to do.
This hearty soup, while great anytime, is perfect for a fall or winter evening. It’s warm, filling, and best served in a large soup bowl with nothing but some toasted crusty bread for dipping.
8 cups | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 211 | Total Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 53mg | Sodium: 546mg | Carbohydrates: 8g | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 3g | Protein: 19g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 6
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup ham, diced (nitrate-free)
- 2 chicken boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1/2 cup carrots, shredded
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon tarragon
- 1/2 cup low fat swiss cheese, grated
- 1 cup low fat milk
- 2 tablespoon butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Add the broth, ham, chicken, onion, carrots, garlic, salt, pepper and tarragon to the slow cooker. Cook on low for 4 to 5 hours or high for 2 ½ to 3 hours. Heat milk on stove top then whisk in cheese until melted. Using a fork, mix together the softened butter and flour. Add both the milk mixture and butter mixture and whisk into soup until it is creamy and well combined.
Other recipes you might enjoy:
What are your favorite recipes that you want to turn into stews? Which ones have you tried already? Let us know in the comments section below!