A healthy, home-cooked meal without the hassle of standing over the stove.
Bacon typically has a bad rap in the healthy living industry. It’s full of saturated fat and has very little protein. But that’s why we love turkey bacon. We adore turkey bacon! You get all the smoky flavor with a fraction of the calories and fat. Our Slow Cooker Chicken with Mushroom Gravy recipe utilizes the flavors of turkey bacon to make a rich sauce to smother the chicken in. Be sure to opt for the nitrate-free bacon, though, if you are eating clean.
This recipe adds a healthy, home-cooked touch without the hassle of standing over a stove babysitting a gravy. Enjoy on a bed of rice with a side of your favorite veggies for a wholesome and filling meal.
Slow Cooker Chicken with Mushroom Gravy
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 slices bacon nitrate-free, diced (we used turkey bacon)
- 4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts lean
- 1 yellow onion thinly sliced into rings
- 16 ounces crimini mushrooms sliced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 cup flat-leaf parsley fresh, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth low-sodium, fat-free
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Add oil to a large skillet, turn to medium-high heat, add diced bacon and cook until crisp. Transfer to a plate with a paper towel on it. Add chicken to the skillet and sear chicken on both sides just until golden brown. Remove and place on a paper towel.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add onion to the same skillet, and sauté until tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add chicken to slow cooker, then cover with diced bacon, onion and remaining ingredients, except for the flour. Cover and cook on low 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 hours, or on high 1-1/2 to 3 hours, or until chicken is done and easily flakes with a fork.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and set aside. Add flour to slow cooker and whisk until smooth. Return chicken to slow cooker and continue cooking until gravy is thick, 10-15 minutes.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms