Bacon typically has a bad rap in the healthy living industry. It’s full of saturated fat and has very little protein. But that’s why we love turkey bacon. We adore turkey bacon! You get all the smoky flavor with a fraction of the calories and fat. Our Slow Cooker Chicken with Mushroom Gravy recipe utilizes the flavors of turkey bacon to make a rich sauce to smother the chicken in. Be sure to opt for the nitrate-free bacon, though, if you are eating clean.
This recipe adds a healthy, home-cooked touch without the hassle of standing over a stove babysitting a gravy. Enjoy on a bed of rice with a side of your favorite veggies for a wholesome and filling meal.
Yields: 4 servings | Calories: 341 | Total Fat: 19 | Saturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 81mg | Sodium: 874mg | Carbohydrates: 15g | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Protein: 28g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 10
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 slices nitrate-free bacon, diced (we used turkey bacon)
- 4 boneless, skinless lean chicken breast filets
- 16 ounces sliced crimini mushrooms
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 cup fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth, low sodium, fat free
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Add oil to a large skillet skillet, turn to medium-high heat, add diced bacon and cook until crisp. Transfer to a plate with a paper towel on it. Add chicken to the skillet and sear chicken on both sides just until golden brown. Remove and place on a paper towel.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, add onion to the same skillet, and sauté until tender, about 4 minutes.
- Add chicken to slow cooker, then cover with diced bacon, onion and remaining ingredients, except for the flour. Cover and cook on low 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 hours, or on high 1-1/2 to 3 hours, or until chicken is done and easily flakes with a fork.
- Remove chicken from slow cooker and set aside. Add flour to slow cooker and whisk until smooth. Return chicken to slow cooker and continue cooking until gravy is thick, 10-15 minutes.
- TIP: When you add the onion to the skillet, pour in about a 1/4 cup broth to deglaze the pan and pick up all the bits on the bottom of the pan from the chicken and then add to the slow cooker.