Scrumptious, but beyond-simple to throw together!
“This stew is simple to make and has great flavor. The prep work takes about 15 minutes. I threw mine in the crockpot at lunchtime, and after 4 short hours on high, it was ready. And cooking a batch of couscous to go with it takes less than 10 minutes. It’s a great weeknight meal option. It reheats beautifully, too, if you have leftovers.”
Maya Evoy is the blogger behind Alaska from Scratch. She is a pastor’s wife and mom of three living on Alaska’s gorgeous Kenai Peninsula. Her food is delicious, approachable, and always from scratch is found here: Alaska From Scratch.
Slow Cooker Chickpea Stew with Apricots
- 30 ounces chickpeas or garbanzo beans, canned, drained and rinsed
- 29 ounces diced tomatoes canned
- 15 ounces vegetable broth canned
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 cup turnip peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup dried apricots chopped
- 1 lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper or more to taste
- cilantro chopped
- lemon wedges
- Toss all the ingredients into a slow-cooker and stir to combine. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6 hours. Taste for seasoning and add more salt as needed. Serve with fresh cilantro and lemon wedges over steamed couscous.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms