This dog food recipe is made with clean, whole food ingredients. It’s simple to replace some of the ingredients with others that your dog enjoys. For example, some dogs prefer squash over sweet potatoes or zucchini instead of green beans. We use boneless and skinless chicken thighs, since it’s so much easier without deboning and removing the skin. This doggie stew recipe is an excellent replacement for commercially made doggie stew.
NOTE: Check with your veterinarian before making any changes to your pet’s diet. Also, please be aware of any allergies your pet may have to specific ingredients and avoid ingredients which have caused reactions in your pets in the past. If you are unsure about a specific ingredient found in one of our recipes, introduce the food to your pets in small amounts first.
- 6 pounds chicken thighs, (deboned and skinless)
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 1 medium sweet potato, scrubbed and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups frozen green beans
- 2 apples, cored and seeded (make sure all seeds are removed)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Rinse chicken, carrots, and sweet potato, add to the slow cooker along with, green beans and apples. Add just enough water to cover ingredients. Cover and cook on low 8 - 10 hours.
- Add frozen peas about 20 minutes before the end of cooking time. Using a slotted spoon remove ingredients and place in a large bowl. Once cooled, either add ingredients to a food processor or use a fork and mash the ingredients to desired consistency. Add olive oil and stir to combine.
- Place stew in freezer safe ziplock bags. The serving sizes will depend on the size of your dog. Remove individual ziplock bag from the freezer the night before serving and allow to defrost in the refrigerator overnight.
Follow us on Pinterest for healthy pet recipes, tips, and tons of cuteness.