Who doesn’t love dog kisses? Although we’re always eager to receive some affection from our dog, bad breath can cause us to hesitate a bit. Dogs can get bad breath from plaque build-up caused by infrequent brushing, insufficient water intake, or just from the foods they eat. Our simple DIY dog treats will help get rid of your dog’s bad breath no matter the reason.
Key Ingredients & Why They Work:
Parsley: The green leaves of the parsley plant contains chlorophyll, which acts on bacteria and eliminates them. Parsley is also great for your dog’s digestive system.
Mint: Mint gives your dog’s breath a light and soothing smell.
- 2 1/2 cups old-fashioned oats,
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1 large egg (see tip below for dogs with allergies to chicken products)
- 1/4 cup of water, plus 1 tablespoon (more water as needed to form the dough)
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil (unrefined extra-virgin is best)
- Preheat the oven to 325° F
- Add oats to a blender and pulse to a flour like consistency. In a large bowl whisk together diced parsley and mint, egg, water, and oil. Add oat flour and stir to combine. Knead dough a few times then turn out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Using your hands or a rolling pin, flatten dough to about 1/8" thick. Using a cookie cutter or knife cut out approximately 40 (1-inch mints) mints. Place mints about 1/4-inch a part on a parchment lined or non-stick cookie sheet. Bake 35-40 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
- Allow mints to cool completely before serving. Store in an airtight container.
- Tip: For dogs with allergies to chicken products, substitute one large egg with 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce.