This healthy curry is easy and delicious!
Don’t let the cold weather keep you from eating healthy! Warm up your belly with this unique and tasteful slow cooker recipe!
Veronica, creator of the The Vegetarian Ginger aims to create dishes that are healthy, creative and flexible. Many of the recipes are gluten-free and vegan friendly as well. From breakfast to dessert, this blog features guilt-free dishes that are easy to make and don’t lack flavor!
Slow Cooker Eggplant, Potato, and Mushroom Curry
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large eggplant peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes and sweated (See method to learn how to sweat an eggplant)
- 3 potatoes peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 8 white button mushrooms quartered
- 2 small white onions finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon ground curry optional cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup red pepper chopped
- 540 ml tomatoes including juice can, chopped
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoon fresh ginger grated
- salt to taste
- To take the bitterness out of the eggplant, sweat the cubes by lightly salting them and letting them rest for an hour. Then press out excess liquid with a paper towel.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-low heat, and cook eggplant until lightly brown, then move eggplant to slow cooker. Mix in the potato and mushrooms with the eggplant.
- In the same skillet, add onion. Use extra oil if necessary. Cook for roughly 3 minutes until the onions begin to soften, then add garlic, curry and pepper. Cook for another minute, then add red pepper. Let sauté until all the ingredients look softened, then add tomatoes with juice, lime juice and ginger. Bring to a boil, then mix in with the rest of the vegetables in the slow cooker. Add salt to taste and place in bay leaf.
- Cover the mixture and set the slow cooker to “low” and cook for 8 hours, or set to “high” and cook for 4 hours. The curry should be ready once the potato is easily pierced with a fork.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
For more vegetarian recipes, click here. Don’t miss the Top 20 Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes on Skinny Ms.
love this recipe. I am a vegetarian and so many slow cooker meals are meat..this is an excellent alternative… thank you ,,alison
Cannot wait to try this. I do not have a slow cooker so I will improvise.
I don’t see Curry listed in the ingredients. How much? and when do you add it in?
Laurie, Just emailed the Guest Contributor and will post when we have her answer. 🙂
Wanting to make this but don’t see the curry ingredient amount. Help!
I corrected this recipe by changing it to curry and making cumin an option. 🙂
Has anybody done this in an instant pot? If so do you know which settings etc? It looks amazing and I’ll be trialling both instant pot and recipe.