Mix up a healthy batch of this traditional favorite!
Classic onion soup gets its flavor from richly caramelized onions in this slow cooker French onion soup recipe that will make a delicious starter at your next dinner party. When simmered in the slow cooker all day, it leaves your stovetop free for other courses of the meal, and produces a soup that is rich in flavor and nutrients.
Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 sweet onion large, thinly sliced
- 1 yellow onion large, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 cups beef broth
- 4 slices whole-wheat bread thick
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- Heat the olive oil and the butter in a large skillet. Add the onions and cook over low heat, stirring often, until caramelized and browned, about 30 minutes.
- Transfer to slow cooker pot, and add the garlic, thyme, salt, pepper, and broth. Cover and cook over low heat for 6-8 hours.
- Before serving, toast the bread and preheat broiler to high heat. Ladle the soup in and lay a slice of cheese over each bowl. Broil until the cheese is well browned and serve.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms