You'll fall in love with this seafood stew!
Stew might not be the first thing to come to mind when you think about seafood, but the truth is there are plenty of great seafood stews out there. Our slow cooker recipe for halibut stew is great served right from your slow cooker or heated up for lunch or dinner a few day’s later. Chances are this recipe will yield enough for leftovers, so enjoy!
Looking for other slow cooker recipes? Try our slimming slow cooker recipes or our slow cooker recipes for breakfast.
Slow Cooker Halibut Stew
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 yellow onion small, coarsely chopped
- 2 carrots thinly sliced
- 1 potato large, peeled, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth fat free, low sodium -optional vegetable broth
- 1 lime juiced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- kosher or sea salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 cup cilantro freshly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 pound halibut fillets rinsed and cut into bite size pieces or your favorite white fish as an option
- Add all the above ingredients to the slow-cooker, except halibut. Cover and cook on low 8 to 9 hours. The last 30 minutes of cooking time add thawed halibut pieces. Garnish with additional cilantro if desired.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
You might also like our compilation of 73 Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes.
Be sure to subscribe to our daily eNewsletter, like our Facebook page, and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Skinny Ms., check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.
Delicious stew. Made a double batch to quickly use a lot of halibut. I had chicken broth already made in slow cooker and added the rest of the ingredients except the halibut and cilantro, cooked high for half an hour, added halibut for another half hour. Refrigerated overnight, then added frozen cilantro before heating and serving. Both husband and I loved it and its a good way add more halibut to the menu. Had bought 2 lbs. "previously frozen" halibut on super sale due to expiration date that day. Made terrific meal for two days in a row.
Have a cook off this week at work. I hope this recipe wins the stew competition!
Best of luck, Dave! Let us know if you win!
Awesome stew! Made this with halibut my boyfriend caught in Alaska. Added reaper pepper spices and it was a little hot – a few spoonfuls of sour cream made this sauce even better!
Christine, YUM!!! Thanks for the feedback. Must be nice to have some halibut straight from Alaska. 🙂
This sounds delicious!! Cant wait to try it. Any chance can be frozen and add cilantro when ready serve?
Michele, Definitely! Cilantro can be added when serving. 🙂