Fall is an incredible time of year. The changing colors, the brisk weather, cider and pumpkin desserts, the return of soups and stews, apple pie, and the list could go on and on. The foods associated with each season can match your mood so perfectly. As soon as you start pulling out sweaters and scarves, you know it is time for hearty soup recipes, spiced cider, and warm apple desserts.
A favorite fall and winter recipe is Slow Cooker Ham and Pea Soup. This soup is thick, hearty, and healthy! In other words, it’s the perfect meal for a chilly evening. Instead of a smooth green purée, we like to leave Ham and Pea Soup with big hearty chunks of ham and carrots.
This healthy soup recipe is definitely one you want to pull out each year!
Be sure to also try some of these other Slow Cooker recipes from SkinnyMs.
Slow Cooker Ham and Pea Soup
- 16 ounces dried split peas
- 2 cups ham diced, I used Boar's Head Brand, which doesn't have nitrates or preservatives
- 3 carrots peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup onion chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 quart vegetable stock low-sodium
- 2 cups water
- Layer the ingredients in your slow cooker in the order listed above.
- Slowly pour in the vegetable stock and water.
- Cover and cook soup on low for 5 hours.
- (If you the soup is a little too lumpy for your liking, gently mash out the peas with the back of your spoon)
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our daily enewsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.