This soup is great for dinner, and also lunch the next day!
There’s nothing better than coming home after a long day at work and dinner is waiting in the slow cooker! That’s why we love this Slow Cooker Hearty Vegetable and Bean Soup recipe. It’s super simple to make: It’s as easy as dumping the ingredients in the slow cooker before you go to work. When you get home, it’ll be ready to eat. It has such an incredibly robust flavor, too. You won’t believe all the ingredients are plant-based and vegan-friendly!
It’s so easy to prepare, and most of the ingredients can be substituted with whatever you have on hand. Feel free to swap in black, navy, or pinto beans for the cannellini beans. Similarly, the vegetables can be customized based on what’s in season. And while this is a fully vegan dish filled with delicious plant-based ingredients, you can also customize it to amp up the protein.
If you’re a meat-eater, you can add 1 pound of chicken fillets (cut into 1″ cubes) to the slow cooker along with the other ingredients. Once it simmers on low for 8 to 10 hours, the chicken will be melt-in-your-mouth tender. You could also add a package of extra-firm tofu (cut into 1/2-inch cubes and pressed to remove excess moisture) to keep things vegetarian.
A Quick Note about the Slow Cooker Settings
We created this recipe to cook while you’re at work. That means it takes 8 to 10 hours on the low setting on your slow cooker. If you’re in a rush, you could also cook it for 4 to 6 hours on high. Similarly, you could cook it over low heat on the stovetop and finish the soup in a matter of hours. Basically, you’re looking for the carrots to be tender, so use that as an indicator as to whether the soup is ready to eat.
Check out the video for how to make this delicious Slow Cooker Hearty Vegetable and Bean Soup!
Slow Cooker Hearty Vegetable and Bean Soup
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 sweet potato medium, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (white or red potato optional)
- 2 carrots peeled and sliced into 1 inch pieces
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1 cup whole kernel corn optional
- kosher or sea salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes more or less to taste (can be substituted with cayenne pepper)
- 2 cups green beans frozen or fresh
- 4 cups vegetable broth low sodium (chicken broth can be substituted)
- 1/4 cup parsley freshly chopped
- 14 1/2 ounce diced tomatoes can
- 31 ounce cannellini beans cans - drained (navy, black, or pinto can be substituted)
- Add all the above ingredients to the slow cooker, stir to combine, cover and cook on low 8-10 hours or until carrots are tender.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
RECIPE SIGNUP: If you’re interested in receiving our newest and best Slow Cooker recipes via email, signup here: daily eNewsletter Signup. Or follow us on Facebook or Pinterest to browse our entire collection!