This stew is perfect for chilly days!
A showcase of Mediterranean tastes, this stew is satisfying especially on a chilly day. With a classic combination of traditional Italian herbs and spices, you can fill your tummy while your palate delights. Heart-healthy ingredients come together in this slow cooked dish that’s full of flavor, and easy to make.
Slow Cooker Italian Meatball Stew
- 12 Italian Meatballs click here for Italian Meatball recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 carrots peeled, chopped
- 2 celery stalks coarsely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper cored and seeded, diced
- 1 zucchini coarsely chopped
- 14 1/2 ounces fire roasted tomatoes can - with liquid
- 15 ounces cannellini beans can - drained
- 2 garlic cloves diced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons basil freshly chopped, or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- kosher or sea salt to taste
- 2 cups chicken broth fat free, low sodium
- 1/2 cup whole wheat orzo (optional whole wheat couscous or pre-rinsed quinoa)
- Add oil to a large skillet, turn to medium heat and cook meatballs until brown on both sides, about 16 minutes. While meatballs are cooking add remaining ingredients, except orzo, to the slow cooker and stir to combine. Add browned meatballs to slow cooker, cover and cook on low 7-8 hours. The last 15 minutes of cooking time, add orzo, turn slow cooker to high and cook 10-15 minutes or until pasta is al dente. Serve in bowls and sprinkle with parmesan cheese if desired.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
RECIPE SIGNUP: If you’re interested in receiving our newest and best Slow Cooker recipes via email, signup here: daily eNewsletter
Why is this recipe posted in the vegetarian section?
Veronica…whoops! We do make mistakes from time to time. Anytime you find an error please don't hesitate to point out. We sincerely appreciate it! There are two of us that maintain this quickly growing site, create & prepare recipes, create workouts and….I'm tired just thinking about it! 🙂 You're the best….keep the feedback coming! 🙂 We do love what we do!!!!
I like the valuable info you supply in your articles. I will bookmark your blog and test again here regularly. I am rather certain I'll be informed lots of new stuff proper right here! Good luck for the following!
ONE of the best recipes I’ve found…EVEN hubby likes this one!
This is a fabulous recipe. My whole family loves to hear when this is on the menu for dinner. I make it at least once a month.
Could I use barley instead of orzo? I have some that I need to use up.
This is one of my favorite Skinny Ms. recipes… one way that I have found to save time, is to use frozen mini-meatballs. Earth's Best make frozen mini-meatballs for kids and they work perfectly! We also just use whatever pasta we have on hand.
This soup is fabulous!
This soup was wonderful! I used frozen turkey meatballs and both my husband and my 15 yr old son loved it. This is going into my rotation! thank you 🙂
You’re very welcome, Allison! Glad you enjoyed the Meatball Stew!