This delicious Southwestern-style pork tenderloin recipe and photo were originally posted on the popular site What’s Cooking America, a family-friendly culinary portal featuring fantastic recipes from around the country. This amazing recipe was created by Karen Calanchini, a food stylist and photographer from Redding, CA.
This recipe is great for Sunday dinner or a special occasion. The main ingredient in the dish is pork tenderloin, providing a leaner option than beef, without sacrificing juiciness or flavor. Pork pairs well with sweet and spicy flavors, making this a great Southwestern dish. This slow cooker pork recipe can be started first thing in the morning and be ready and waiting when dinner time arrives. Just like most slow cooker foods, there is no need to spend hours in the kitchen prepping and monitoring a dish as it bakes. Instead, you toss a few ingredients in a slow cooker and return to a complete, finished meal.
This pork recipe is great by itself, served with a hearty side of veggies, or placed on a sandwich. Most of the time, there is enough leftover to make sandwiches the next day. Our Skinny Sweet and Tangy Cole Slaw makes a great accompaniment, either served beside the pork or topped on the sandwich. You can also serve the pork with a side of our Old-Fashion Cornbread.
Yield: 8 servings | Serving Size: 2 slices | Calories: 191 | Total Fat: 4.3 g | Saturated Fat: 1.4 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 83 mg | Sodium: 371.5 mg | Carbohydrates: 6.3 g | Dietary Fiber: 1.55 g | Sugars: 2.5 g | Protein: 30.9 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 3 |
- 5 tomatillos, husked, washed, and cut in half
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 5 to 6 garlic cloves, diced
- 2 to 3 roasted or grilled Anaheim chile peppers, blackened skin and seeds removed
- 1 cup chipotle salsa (any salsa may be substituted)
- 1 can Fire-roasted, diced tomatoes in juice, or 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (1 1/2 to 2-pound) pork tenderloin roast
- Salt, pepper, and cumin to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- To roast chile peppers and tomatillos, place both on a baking pan coated with a little olive oil, cut side down. Roast for 35 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. When cool, cut each 1/2 of tomatillo in 1/2 again; set aside.
- Line the bottom of slow cooker with red onion slices, and 1/2 of the diced garlic, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Lay the pork tenderloin roast on top of the vegetables. Sprinkle the remainder of the diced garlic on top of the pork. Add the roasted chiles, salsa, diced tomatoes or tomato sauce, roasted tomatillos, and additional salt and pepper. Sprinkle a little powdered cumin all over the top and stir gently to mix.
- Cook on low for approximately 10 hours or until pork is tender and the meat is falling apart.
- Serving suggestion: Slice or chunk pork, serve with juice, and all the vegetables on top. Mexican rice and colorful coleslaw makes for a very healthy and tasty meal. This pork would also be excellent to shred and serve in tacos.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook TIme: 10 hours
Click here for the Top 10 Slow Cooker Recipes on SkinnyMs.
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter. Also, like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.