Not a fan of traditional mayonnaise cole slaw? Either way, you will love our Skinny Sweet and Tangy Cole Slaw recipe. It takes the usual boring cole slaw you’ve come across at every picnic and get-together and flips it on its head. We’ve put together the perfect combination of sweet and tangy flavors by using apple cider vinegar and a bit of pure maple syrup. Throw in a tablespoon, or two, of creamy Dijon, and you’ve got yourself a party favorite that is sure to please both lovers and haters of traditional cole slaw varieties.
Try serving Skinny Sweet and Tangy Cole Slaw with some of our other backyard favorites, like:
Yields: 6 servings | Serving size: 3/4 cup | Calories: 116 | Total Fat: 7 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 35 mg | Carbohydrates: 12 g | Dietary Fiber: 2 g | Sugars: 9 g | Protein: 1 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 5 |
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons Dijon Mustard (I used Grey Poupon Country Dijon)
- 6 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup grated Vidalia Onion, or regional sweet onion
- 1 teaspoon caraway or celery seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Whisk together the first 5 ingredients.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cabbage, carrots, bell pepper, onion, caraway seeds and black pepper. Add the vinegar mixture and toss to coat. Serve immediately or refrigerate until ready to serve.
Let us know how much you’ve enjoyed this recipe by leaving a comment below.