If you have never used a slow cooker for baking before, our Slow Cooker Lemon Bars will make you a believer! After mixing all of the ingredients for the crust and the filling, you simply layer them in the slow cooker and let it do it’s magic! A couple of hours later, these tart and sweet bars will be ready to devour.
Of course these lemon bars are prepared SkinnyMs.-style. That means we used ingredients like coconut sugar in place of regular sugar, wheat and oat flours in place of all-purpose flour, and low-fat cream cheese rather than the full-fat version. The rest of the fabulous flavors in this dish come from the lemon, Greek yogurt, and blueberries!
Yields: 12 servings | Serving Size: 1 bar | Calories: 319 | Total Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 81mg | Sodium: 240mg | Carbohydrates: 33g | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 14g | Protein: 7g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 14
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (optional, white whole wheat flour)
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1 tablespoon tcoconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup coconut oil, cold (optional, pure unsalted butter)
- Ice cold water
- 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 (5.3 ounce) container lemon Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest (for a stronger lemon taste, zest 2 lemons)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 3 cups blueberries (fresh or frozen, unthawed)
- *Note: Oat flour can easily be made by adding 3/4 cup rolled oats to a blender or food processor, pulsing until achieving a flour consistency.
- Make the crust by combining the wheat flour with the oat flour, sugar, lemon zest and salt in a large bowl. Add the coconut oil or butter mixture and work it through the flour with your hands until it is crumbly.
- Slowly add ice water, about 2 tablespoons at a time, until you have a stiff dough.
- Form the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate until firm, about half hour.
- Beat the cream cheese on high until smooth. Beat in eggs. Then add sugar, vanilla extract, Greek yogurt, lemon zest, lemon juice and salt. Beat until combined. Add flour and beat until combined, but be careful not to over-beat the filling. Fold in blueberries with a rubber spatula.
- Spray slow cooker with cooking spray. Line the bottom of your slow cooker with the dough, then add filling on top. Cook on low for 2 to 3 hours, until the edges are beginning to brown. Allow to cool in the slow cooker then cut into squares and remove.
What are some other baked goods you’ve made in your slow cooker? Let us know in the comments section below!
You might also like: