Your favorite lemony treat made in a slow cooker!
If you have never used a slow cooker for baking before, our Slow Cooker Lemon Bars will make you a believer! After mixing all of the ingredients for the crust and the filling, you simply layer them in the slow cooker and let it do it’s magic! A couple of hours later, these tart and sweet bars will be ready to devour.
Of course these lemon bars are prepared SkinnyMs.-style. That means we used ingredients like coconut sugar in place of regular sugar, wheat and oat flours in place of all-purpose flour, and low-fat cream cheese rather than the full-fat version. The rest of the fabulous flavors in this dish come from the lemon, Greek yogurt, and blueberries!
Slow Cooker Lemon Bars
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour optional white whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup coconut oil cold, optional pure unsalted butter
- water ice cold
- 8 ounces cream cheese reduced-fat, softened to room temperature
- 2 eggs large
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5.3 ounces lemon Greek yogurt container
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest for a stronger lemon taste, zest 2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 3 cups blueberries fresh or frozen, unthawed
- *Note: Oat flour can easily be made by adding 3/4 cup rolled oats to a blender or food processor, pulsing until achieving a flour consistency.
- Make the crust by combining the wheat flour with the oat flour, sugar, lemon zest, and salt in a large bowl. Add the coconut oil or butter mixture and work it through the flour with your hands until it is crumbly.
- Slowly add ice water, about 2 tablespoons at a time, until you have a stiff dough.
- Form the dough into a ball, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate until firm, about a half-hour.
- Beat the cream cheese on high until smooth. Beat in eggs. Then add sugar, vanilla extract, Greek yogurt, lemon zest, lemon juice and salt. Beat until combined. Add flour and beat until combined, but be careful not to over-beat the filling. Fold in blueberries with a rubber spatula.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
What are some other baked goods you’ve made in your slow cooker? Let us know in the comments section below!
You might also like: