Healthy beef recipes are few and far between. If you are dieting or trying to improve your health, one of the last things you will scarf up on a regular basis are burgers and traditional meatloaf. Unfortunately for beef lovers, giving up one of their favorite foods often results in diet sabotage. Luckily, there are slow cooker beef dishes that taste great and are healthy. These slow cooker recipes are easy to make and allow you to get your red meat fix without overdoing it on calories or saturated fat.
Busy families are always looking for ways to simplify the dinner hour. Slow cookers are one of the best tools at a busy family’s disposal to help them create healthy dinners that are easy to make. Most slow cooker recipes require just a short time in the kitchen. Ingredients are tossed into the pot and cook throughout the day while you focus on work or other activities. By day’s end, you have a complete, healthy dinner ready and waiting for your family. You can even prepare slow cooker ingredients ahead of time, freeze them for months at a time, and have them ready to toss into the slow cooker any day of the week. Some people fill their freezers with slow cooker meals that are ready to go at a moment’s notice!
Yields: 6 servings | Calories: 236 | Total Fat: 15 g | Saturated Fat: 6 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 69 mg | Sodium: 220 mg | Carbohydrates: 10 g | Dietary Fiber: 1 g | Sugars: 6 g | Protein: 16 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 4 |
- 1 pound boneless beef chuck blade steak
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into strips
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, lite, low sodium (optional Tamari or Bragg's Liquid Aminos)
- 1 can mandarin oranges
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- Cut steak into bite size pieces. Add to the slow cooker, steak and the remaining ingredients, except cornstarch, water, and mandarin oranges. Cover and cook on low 6 to 8 hours.
- About 15 minutes before the end of cooking time combine cornstarch with 1/4 cup liquid from madarin oranges, stir until smooth and add to the slow cooker along with the oranges. Discard the remaining liquid from the oranges, unless you prefer a thinner sauce, in that case add the remaining liquid. Stir and continue cooking 15 minutes.
- Mandarin Beef is delicious served over brown rice or quinoa.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.