Our top-rated Momma’s Roadhouse Chili makes for a fantastic dinner on a busy weeknight! It’s a classic chili, packed with meat and beans that fill you up on a frigid winter’s night. It’s an easy chili recipe that requires little prep time. Just brown the meat and toss all ingredients in the slow cooker. It’s that simple. This chili version was created from an old family recipe that used sausage instead of ground turkey. We’ve included our recipe for spicy sausage if you’d like to try the original version.
Slow Cooker Momma's Roadhouse Chili
- 1 pound lean ground turkey about 93% lean (optional, lean ground chicken or beef)
- 1 sweet onion small
- 30 ounces kidney beans canned, drained
- 15 ounces black beans canned, drained
- 14 1/2 ounces diced tomatoes canned
- 6 ounces tomato paste canned
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup tomato juice or veggie juice
- 3 cups water for a thicker chili, use 2 1/2 cups
- Cook turkey and onion in a skillet on medium heat, breaking up into small chunks. Cook until no longer pink. Drain off fat and discard.
- Add cooked meat and all other ingredients to slow cooker, cook on low 6-8 hours. 4-6 quart slow cooker recommended. Add diced onions and cheddar cheese, if desired.
RECIPE SIGNUP: If you’re interested in receiving our newest and best Slow Cooker recipes via email, signup here: daily eNewsletter.