What is the official dish of Texas? You guessed it. Chili con carne. In the spirit of traditional Texas Chili, there are no beans in this recipe. Lean beef provides plenty of protein. The ancho chili powder gives this chili its smoky flavor.
Yields: 8| Serving Size: 1 cup |Calories: 267| Total Fat: 9 g | Saturated Fat: 3 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 101 mg | Sodium: 317 mg | Carbohydrates: 8 g | Dietary Fiber: 2 g | Sugars: 3 g | Protein: 36 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 6
- 2 pounds lean beef chuck, cubed
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 onion, minced
- 1-2 jalapeño peppers, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 can chopped green chilies, drained
- 3 tablespoons Ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, more or less to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 cups beef stock, fat-free and low-sodium
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, and juices
- Chopped green onions and fat-free Greek yogurt for topping
- Toss the cubed beef chuck with the flour. Add the oil to the pan and sear the beef until browned on all sides. Add the onions and jalapeños. Cook until vegetables are soft and add the garlic. Cook for one more minute and transfer the mixture to your slow cooker. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir.
- Cook the chili on low heat for 7-8 hours until chili is thick and rich. Serve with desired toppings.
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.