Mulligatawny Soup is a traditional curry soup originating in India. There are many different versions and variations, but our Slow Cooker Mulligatawny Soup is made in a slow cooker and includes chicken, vegetables, lentils, apples, spices, coconut milk, and brown Jasmine rice. It’s amazingly flavorful, creamy, and hearty. All it needs is a wheat pita for soaking up that liquid golden goodness!
This soup just gets better the longer it sits, so it would be great to take along for a next-day lunch. Just be sure to make a big enough batch to have leftovers!
Yields: 8 cups | Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups | Calories: 336 | Total Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 273mg | Carbohydrates: 35g | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 7g | Protein: 27g | SmartPoints: 10
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 green apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup lite coconut milk
- 1 cup brown jasmine rice, cooked
- Place everything in the slow cooker except the rice. Cook on low for 5 to 6 hours, or low for 2 to 3 hours. Remove bay leaf, add jasmine rice and serve!
Other recipes to enjoy:
What soups do you make on chilly winter nights? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below!