Sweet, savory, and full of flavor, this Slow Cooker Pineapple Chicken dish is everything you’re looking for in a weeknight meal. A mixture of tender chicken and juicy pineapple chunks, this easy slow cooker recipe makes for the perfect meal served on a bed of brown rice or quinoa. With Asian-inspired flavors and plenty of fresh veggies, this dish is everything you love about stir-fry night with the convenience of the slow cooker. Whether you’re facing major Chinese takeout cravings or trying to find a new chicken recipe with a little extra flair, this easy, sweet and savory Slow Cooker Pineapple Chicken is a perfect meal for all cravings and occasions.
Full of healthy ingredients that pack both flavor and nutrition, this simple recipe has it all. Juicy pineapple is definitely a standout ingredient that helps make this dish the best of all things sweet and savory. However, pineapples are also a top source for bromelain, which helps support bone and joint health.
Meanwhile, chicken itself also helps boost this recipe’s impressive nutritional profile. Chicken is everywhere, so it’s easy to forget all the health benefits it actually brings to the table. A lean protein, chicken is a can’t-miss staple in any weight loss, fitness, or other health and wellness plan. Great for workout prep and recovery, this easy, go-to protein will also keep you full for hours.
Of course, this recipe wouldn’t be complete without plenty of veggies. Flavorful bell peppers and crunchy water chestnuts pack this dish full of flavor and texture. And the best part? This dish also lends itself well to additions! If you want to get inventive, throw some extra veggies into the mix to add to the fun. Great choices would be: carrots, cherry tomatoes, and asparagus.
This Slow Cooker Pineapple Chicken recipe combines protein, vegetables, and a whole grain, so you get a complete meal in one dish. Just toss the ingredients into the pot and hours later, dinner is served! Fun and flavorful, this recipe is an instant weeknight classic.
Yields: 6 | Serving size: 1 cup | Calories: 255 | Total Fat: 7 g | Saturated Fats: 2 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 24 mg | Sodium: 468 mg | Carbohydrates: 31 g | Dietary fiber: 2 g | Sugars: 16 g | Protein: 18 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 4 |
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless, skinless (about 1.5 pounds), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple chunks, in natural juice
- 2 tablespoons lite soy sauce, optional tamari
- 1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drain
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground ginger
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and seeded, sliced into 1" strips
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Recommend using a 4-7 quart slow-cooker.
- Pour juice from canned pineapple chunks into a small mixing bowl. Add to juice, soy sauce, garlic, ginger and honey, whisk to combine. Add cornstarch and stir until combined.
- Place chicken in slow-cooker, pour pineapple mixture over chicken, cover and cook on low 4-6 hours or until chicken is cooked through.
- Add bell pepper, water chestnuts, and pineapple chunks the last 30 minutes of cooking time. Serve chicken over a bed of quinoa or brown rice.
- NOTE: Other add-in suggestions: sliced zucchini, snow peas, diced carrots or diced almonds. Add any of these the last 30 minutes of cooking time.
Follow us on Instagram for more healthy recipes, plus workouts, and health and wellness tips, tricks and motivation!
Last updated June 27, 2018