Our Slow Cooker Root Vegetable Stew is bursting with flavor and loaded with vegetables. The ground turkey provides a healthy serving of lean protein, while the carrot, sweet potato, turnip, and beets add vital nutrients. We also added quinoa to amp up the protein and add a satisfying touch. The ground turkey is browned with the onions, then added to a slow cooker with the vegetables, spices, and vegetables juice and simmered on low for 6-8 hours.
Start this recipe in the morning before work and come home to a healthy, filling meal in the evening. You can also freeze the stew before the simmering process to finish at a later time, if you wanted to get ahead on family meals!
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 272 | Total Fat: 8g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 847mg | Sodium: 107mg | Carbohydrates: 34g | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 14g | Protein: 20g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 6
- 1 pound lean ground turkey, about 93% lean (optional, lean ground chicken or beef)
- 1 small sweet onion
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- 1 turnip, diced
- 1 red or golden beet, diced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) diced tomatoes
- 1 (6-ounce) can tomato paste
- 2-1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup tomato juice or veggie juice (carrot juice is a wonderful alternative!)
- 3 cups water (for a thicker chili, use 2-1/2 cups)
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- Cook turkey and onion in a skillet on medium heat, breaking up into small chunks. Cook until no longer pink. Drain off fat and discard.
- Add cooked meat and all other ingredients – except quinoa – to slow cooker, cook on low 6-8 hours until veggies are tender. 4-6 quart slow cooker recommended.
- Stir in cooked quinoa and enjoy!
You might also like: