Looking for a prefect pre-workout meal that provides tons of lasting energy? Look no further! Sweet Potato Oatmeal is comprised of complex carbs that provides lasting energy due to high fiber content, and tons of nutrients. Superfood sweet potato lends a sweet, earthy flavor to this easily prepared breakfast. Combine ingredients in your slow cooker and sit back while your delicious, energizing meal simmers away!
NOTE: The carbohydrates in this recipe are complex carbs that are stored and used as energy that lasts all day and are found primarily in the oats and sweet potato. Simple carbs cause an immediate spike in blood sugar and can be found in foods like pastries and candy.
Servings: 6 | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 164 | Total Fat: 3 g | Saturated Fats: 1 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 3 mg | Sodium: 56 mg | Carbohydrates: 45 g | Dietary Fiber: 5 g | Sugars: 14 g | Protein: 8 g | SmartPoints: 6
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup grated sweet potato, or 1/2 cup cooked and mashed sweet potato
- 2 tablespoons unrefined sweetener, more or less to taste, I used coconut palm sugar. Other options: sucanat, honey or 100% pure maple syrup
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Combine all ingredients in the slow cooker, cover and cook on low 2 to 2 1/2 hours, or until desired consistency is reached. Recommend 4-5 quart slow cooker.
- If desired, add diced nuts and raisins.
- STOVE TOP METHOD: Add all ingredients to a medium saucepan, bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cook approximately 20 - 25 minutes, or until desired consistency has been reached.