Slow cookers are one of the best things to have happened in the kitchen, considering our fast-paced lives. What is better than leaving the slow cooker to simmer away in the morning, only to return home to a magically complete dinner? Here, we have a tasty beef stew slow cooked until it falls apart on your fork. When you remove the cover from the slow cooker, the scent will have your mouth watering!
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 317 | Total Fat: 9 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 29 mg | Sodium: 261 mg | Carbohydrates: 37 g | Dietary Fiber: 6 g | Sugars: 5 g | Protein: 23 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle) : 9 |
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cubed (or other cuts)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drain and rinse
- 1/2 cup roasted red peppers, coarsely chopped
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- 2 (15-ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 cup water
- Cover the beef with flour, half of the salt and half of the pepper. Shake off the excess flour and discard. Set aside.
- Over medium heat, in a medium saucepan with extra virgin olive oil, sautè the garlic and onion for 3 minutes then add the beef and brown them for about 8 minutes or until they are cooked through.
- Transfer all the contents of the saucepan to the slow cooker.
- Mix in the potatoes, chick peas, grilled peppers, bay leaves, canned tomatoes, water, the remaining salt and pepper.
- Set the slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours or high 3-4 hours.
Make sure you subscribe to our newsletter so you don’t miss out anything on SkinnyMs.
We’d love to hear what you think. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.