The perfect comfort food for a chilly day.
Nothing soothes the soul more than a big bowl of simmering chili. The ultimate comfort food, especially as the weather gets cooler, chili attributes its thick, smooth consistency to dense, fiber-rich ingredients like beans. This Slow Cooker White Bean & Chicken Chili Recipe packs a protein punch with its chewy Cannellini beans and savory bite-sized chicken pieces. This particular chili acts as a hybrid between a chunky chili and creamy soup, as smooth ingredients like reduced-fat sour cream or Greek yogurt, and grated cheddar cheese add a buttery texture, without the fatty, calorie-laden profile. So grab a spoon and get ready to dive into this guilt-free, super indulgent, belly-warming chili!
Did we mention it makes an awesome appetizer? Pair this recipe with some crunchy, homemade pita chips like these Easy-Whole Grain Pita Chips.
The Best Slow Cooker White Bean Chicken Chili
- 2 pounds boneless and skinless chicken breasts cut into bite-size pieces, uncooked
- 1 sweet onion small, diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 jalapeño peppers seeded and diced
- 1 poblano pepper medium, seeded and diced
- 8 ounces diced green chilies cans
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt more or less to taste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup cilantro freshly chopped
- 45 ounces cannellini beans cans, drained (optional navy beans)
- 4 cups chicken broth fat-free, low-sodium
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese reduced-fat, grated
- 1 cup sour cream reduced-fat or Greek yogurt
- Add all ingredients, except cheese and sour cream (or yogurt), to the slow cooker, stir to combine, cover and cook on low 6-8 hours or high 3-4 hours. The last 30 minutes of cooking time, add the cheese and sour cream (or yogurt), stir to combine. Cover and continue cooking 30 minutes.
- If desired, before serving garnish with additional sour cream, cheese, and cilantro.
- TIP: Add crushed whole-grain or chia tortilla chips on top of each serving.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms