This meal comes together quickly and easily in the slow cooker in just a couple of hours.
We can all agree that you’re never too old for mac and cheese, but we at SkinnyMs. have matured it (just a little) for our health-conscious readers. Our Slow Cooker White Cheddar and Broccoli Mac & Cheese has all the greatness of the original, but by using low-fat milk, egg whites, and low-fat white cheddar it comes with half the guilt. Throw in some broccoli for additional nutrients and you might even feel good about eating it!
This meal comes together quickly and easily in the slow cooker in just a couple of hours. We suggest pairing this dish with a simple roast chicken to make a wholesome, delicious meal for the whole family.
Slow Cooker White Cheddar Broccoli Mac & Cheese
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 egg whites
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch or tapioca starch
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 cup white cheddar cheese grated
- 1 head broccoli small, cut into bite-sized florets
- 2 cups whole-wheat pasta dry
- Whisk together the milk, egg whites, and cornstarch in your slow cooker insert. Be sure to whisk well.
- Stir in the grated cheese, broccoli, and pasta shells.
- Cook on low for 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
- After the first hour, stir the food on a semi-regular basis (about every 15 minutes or so). This will do two things. It will allow the pasta to cook evenly. It will also allow you to keep any eye on the pasta and see when it's done.
- Every slow cooker is different, so the timing for this recipe may be slightly different on this for you. Pasta goes from "cooked" to "mush" very quickly. So be sure to keep stirring on occasion to keep an eye on things.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
What childhood favorites would you like to see get a healthy, grown-up makeover? Share your thoughts with us in the comments!